Complete Name: Manuel "Mar" Araneta Roxas II
Nicknames: Mar, Mr. Palengke
Birthdate: May 13, 1957
Birthplace: Manila Philippines
Residence: Quezon City Philippines
Father's name: Gerardo Roxas (Senator (1963–1972) and the only son of Manuel Roxas, the first President of the Third Philippine Republic (1946–48)
Mother’s Name: Judith “Judy” Araneta
Siblings: Maria Lourdes or Ria (married to Augusto Ojeda and mother of three) and the late Congressman Gerardo "Dinggoy" Roxas, Jr. (1960–1993, cancer of the colon)
Elementary school: Ateneo de Manila University
High School: Ateneo de Manila University
College School: Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, majoring in finance and earning a Bachelor of Science degree in economics in 1979
Spouse : Korina Maria Sanchez (broadcaster) – married October 2009
Children: Paolo Zaldarriaga – Roxas (son from former girlfriend Maricar Zaldarriaga)
Political Party: Liberal Party
Awards and Honors:
1. In 1996, Roxas was recognized by the World Economic Forum as "one of the Global Leaders of Tomorrow who are expected to shape the future."
2. In 1999, Roxas was named by the Asiaweek Magazine as "Political Leader of the New Millennium."
3. The Singapore Government has awarded him as the 16th Lee Kuan Yew Fellow.
4. On February 16, 2007, the E-Services Philippines awarded Roxas with the E-Champion Award recognizing his pioneering efforts and leadership in making the Philippines a popular outsourcing destination of choice.
5. On September 18, 2007, Roxas was conferred with the Palanca Awards Gawad Dangal ng Lahi by CP Group Chairman Carlos Palanca III, Palanca Foundation Director General Sylvia Palanca-Quirino and Deputy Director General Christine Quirino-Pacheco for serving as an exemplary leader and role model to the Filipino.
1. grandson of former Philippine President Manuel Roxas.
2. Mar Roxas was in a relationship with former beauty queen Maricar Zaldarriaga and had a son, Paolo.
3. They have a black labrador retriever and two schnauzer dogs.
Previous position and achievements:
Political or Government Experiences
- Capiz 1st District representative (May 1993 to January 2000)
- Cabinet Secretary, Department of Trade and Industry (January 2000 to December 2003)
- Senator, Republic of the Philippines (June 2004 to June 2010)
- Cabinet Secretary, Department of Transportation and Communications (July 2011 to October 2012)
- Cabinet Secretary, Department of the Interior and Local Government (September 2012 to September 2015)
Other work experiences:
- Investment banker and Assistant Vice President, Allen & Company, New York (1979 to 1986)
- Member, family-owned North Star Capitals Inc. (1991)