Filipino Chicken Arroz Caldo Recipe filipino recipe | chicken | dessert & salad | merienda (snacks) | pork & beef | seafoods | soup & sauce | vegetable, rice, noodle | filipino delicacy | filipino drinks | regional specialty | cooking tips | glossary | weights and measurement | substitutions | where to buy
• 4 chicken thighs or drumsticksMETHOD
• 2 cups of sticky rice (uncooked)
• 1 qt of chicken stock (fat free, sodium free)
• 2 knobs of ginger (peeled, chopped 1/4 inches)
• 4 cloves of garlic (chopped roughly)
• 1 onion or 2 shallots
• green onions
• 2 tablespoons patis or fish sauce
• salt and pepper
Arroz Caldo means "hot rice".
1. Get a big pot hot and add some olive oil, and brown the chicken. Salt and pepper.
2. When you flip over the chicken, add the chopped onion or shallots and let it sautee until the other side of the chicken browns.
3. Add garlic, give a quick toss and add uncooked rice.
4. Mix around the rice and add the patis or fish sauce. Add ginger. Mix around and add chicken stock.
5. Cover and bring to simmer.
6. When simmer, bring heat to medium and continue to stir. Making sure rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
7. Continue to check the tenderness of the ric. If mixture is getting too thick, loosen with lukewarm water.
8. When rice is cooked just right, serve with chicken in a bowl and garnish with green onions and/or deep fried shallots and garlic and a grind of black or white pepper.