• 1 2-1/2 to 3-pound chicken
• 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 cup onion, minced
• 1 teaspoon peppercorns
• 3 tablespoons cooking oil
• 1/2 cup dried Chinese mushrooms (soak in 2 cups water, drain and add liquid to chicken broth)
• 1/2 cup leeks, cut julienne-style and then in half
• 1/2 cup carrots, cut julienne-style and then in half
• 1/2 pound sotanghon noodles, also known as vermicelli (bean threads), soaked in water and, when soft, cut into 6-inch lengths
• patis or salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup minced onion
• 1/4 cup celery, cut julienne-style and then in half
• 1/2 cup anatto water
1. Boil chicken, bay leaves, peppercorns and 1 cup onion in a stockpot.
2. Set aside and let cool. Strain broth through a sieve. Set aside.
3. Remove all flesh from the boiled chicken.
4. Discard the skin and cut chicken meat into thin strips.
5. In a wok or frying pan, saute garlic and 1/2 cup onion in oil until transparent.
6. Stir in chicken. Add anatto water and 3 cups chicken broth and bring to boil over high heat. Stir in carrots, leeks and celery.
7. Add sotanghon noodles. Add patis or salt and pepper to taste. Serves 6 to 8.