• 1 pound medium-size squid
• 1/4 cup soy sauce or salt
• 1/2 cup white vinegar
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 2 cups cubed red, ripe tomatoes
• 1 cup water
• 2 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
• freshly ground pepper to taste
• 1 head garlic, minced
1. Wash and clean the squid thoroughly, removing the cattle. Put squid in a saucepan (not aluminum) with the vinegar, garlic, pepper, soy sauce or salt and water.
2. Cook over low heat until squid is tender, making sure it does not get overcooked and rubbery. Drain and set aside the squid broth.
3. Heat oil in another saucepan and stir fry the cooked garlic until brown, onion until transparent and tomatoes until soft.
4. Add the squid and simmer for 3 minutes. Transfer squid broth over mixture and bring to a boil. Serve hot. Serves 4.