• 3 cups shelled clams
• salt or patis and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 1 cup unripe papaya or wintermelon, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 2 pieces ginger-root strips, cut julienne-style
• 1 pound spinach or watercress
• 5 cups water
1. Set down the clams in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. Bring the water and ginger to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Add the clams and fruit and simmer for 15 minutes or until clams are tender. Flavor with salt or patis and pepper to taste.
3. Turn off heat and add spinach or watercress. Serve hot. Serves 4 to 6.
Philippine Country Links