• 1 head garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons of ginger root, crushed and minced
• 2 pieces long chilli peppers
• 2 tablespoons of shrimp paste (bagoong)
• 2 cups coconut milk
• 3 pieces tomatoes, diced
• 1/4 kilo shrimp, shelled and deveined
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 4 tablespoons of cooking or olive oil
• 1 kilo squash, cut into cubes (1"x1")
• 1 cups coconut cream (katang gata)
• 2 tablespoons of fish sauce (patis)
1. Estimated cooking & preparation time: 1 hour
2. On a big pan, heat oil. Stir fry garlic, onions until light brown then add ginger, cook until onions become translucent.
3. Add the tomatoes, squash, chicken stock, shrimp paste and the coconut milk. Let boil then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and the squash becomes tender.
4. Add the coconut cream, long chilli peppers and the shrimps. Bring again to a boil and simmer for a few more minutes.
5. Serve hot with plain rice.
6. This ginataan recipe can be used on any vegetable, combination of vegetables, fish or meat.