PHILIPPINE HISTORICAL SITES
ANTIBOGAN MASSACRE SITE, Duero
- Site of a large massacre of Filipinos during the Japanese occupation. (D)
BEHIND THE CLOUDS, Catigbian
- Resistance movement site during Japanese occupation. (D)
BLOOD COMPACT SITE, Tagbilaran
- A marker Showing the spot where Datu Sikatuna forged a Blood Compact with Legazpi for the purpose of fostering friendly relations between their two countries. (B)
BOHOL MUSEUM, Tagbilaran
- A collection of the late President Carlos P. Garcia's memorabilia. (E)
DAGOHOY MARKER, Danao
- Honors deeds of Francisco Dagohoy who led the longest revolt in the country against the Spaniards, lasting years. (C)
HISTORICAL ERMITA RUINS, Dimiao
- Ancient Spanish structure, the real purpose of which is the subjected speculation. (B)
PRESIDENT CARLOS P. GARCIA MEMORIAL PARK, Tagbilaran
- A life-size, bronze statue honors Bohol's most famous son and the fourth President of the
Republicof the Philippines. (E)
PUNTA CRUZ, Maribojoc
- An ancient watchtower which gloved as a |ookoutforpirates. (B)
CASA GORORDO MUSEUM, Cebu City
- Display of 19th Century paintings, relics and furniture. (B)
COLON STREET, Cebu City
- The oldest street in the Philippines, named after Christopher Columbus. (B)
FORT SAN PEDRO, Cebu City
-the nucleus for the first Spanish settlement in the Philippines. Founded by Legazpi in 1565, the fort was later used as barracks for American and Japanese occupiers. (B/D)
LAPU-LAPU MONUMENT, Mactan
- Commemorates L-apu-lapu's victory, regarded as the first by a Filipino patriotagainstaforeign aggressor. (B)
MAGELLAN'S CROSS, Cebu City
- Marks the spot where the first Christian baptism in the Philippines took place. (B)
MAGELLAN'S MARKER, Mactan
- Erected on the spot where the famous explorer died on April 27, 1521 at the hands of Chief Lapu-lapu. (B)
PRESIDENT SERGIO omega RESIDENCE, Cebu City
- Contains the late president's historic car, his personal belongings and mementos, (E)
UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS, Cebu City
- Oldest school in the country established in 1565. (B)
UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS MUSEUM, Cebu City
- Anthropological and biological museum which traces ties between Philippine society and other Asian cultures. (A)
CENTRAL AZUCARERA DE BAIS, Bais
- The first sugarmill in the countryestablished in 1918. (E)
LOOG MEMORIAL SHRINE, Sibulan
- Marks the site of the first battle in Negros between Japanese and Guerilla Forces. (D)
PHILIPPINE-JAPANESE-AMERICAN AMITY SHRINE, Valencia
- Commemorates the sacrifices on all sides duringtierceencounters here. (D)
SILLIMAN UNIVERSITY, Dumaguete
- The first Protestant university in the country featuring distinctive early American architecture. (E)
Spanish FOUNTAIN, Valencia
- Devised by an Augustan Friar to spout water channeled from a highland spring, (B)
OLD CANG-ISOK HOUSE, Enrique Villanueva
- A centuries-old house of bamboo and tunas. (B)
CHURCHES AND RELIGIOUS SHRINES
DAUIS CHURCH, Dauis
- Has retained its Spanish architecture, though it has a modern facade.
IMMACULATE CONCEPCION CHURCH, Baclayon
- The oldest and best-preserved, Jesuit-built church in the region, erected in 1596.
LOBOG CHURGH, Loboc
- Second Oldest church in Bohol, built in 1608, has a three-story convent.
ST. PETER THE APOSTLE, Loboc
- Built from large coral blocks in 1734, the rectory is a three-story casa parroquial, unique in the country.
BASILICA MINOR DEL SANTO NIÑO, Cebu City
- Built on the site where the miraculous image of Santo Nino was discovered in 1565. A replica is on public display, while the original is kept in the parish convent.
CHAPEL OF THE LAST SUPPER, Mandaue City
- Life- sized statues of Jesus and his 12 Apostles. Dating back to 1601, the relic is located in the Church of Mandaue City.
SAN JOSE CHURCH AND CONVENT, Boljoon
- Dates from 1606.
SAN MIGUEL ARCHANGEL CHURCH, Argao
- Built in 1733.
ST.CATHERINE OF ALEXANDRIA, Carcar
- Erected in 1599.
SANTO TOMAS DE VILLANUEVA, Danao
- Erected in 1742.
CHURCH OF ST. AUGUSTINE OF HIPPO AND PIPE ORGAN, Bacong
- Features the province's oldest existing altar and an imported pipe organ.
- Erected in 1811, this is Dumaguete's most popular landmark.
OUR LADY OF LOURDES SHRINE, San Jose
- A spinning sun is said to have manifested the visit of the Lady of Lourdes.
SAN ISIDRO DE LABRADOR CHURCH AND CONVENT, Lazi
- Believed to be the largest, old structure in the country.
S T. FRANCIS DE ASSISI BELLTOWER AND CONVENT, Siquijor
- Founded in 1794.